How to delete videos on Night Owl? Deleting footage is essential for many reasons, especially creating more free space.
To delete videos on Night Owl, you can delete them from the app, your camera’s IP address, or your NVR or DVR devices. For example, if you sell all your Night Owl equipment, you might want to factory reset everything and delete your account.
There are many methods to delete videos on your Night Owl security equipment. Depending on your cameras and recorders, the preferred method can change.
Below, you will check all the existing methods to opt for the most convenient ones.
How To Delete Videos On Night Owl?
How to delete video on Night Owl camera? That can be easily done through many methods.
For example, you can do it if you want to delete only a few videos on one of your cameras or erase your entire NVR/DVR system.
A few methods will also require that you have access to a computer.
However, most of the time, you only need to ensure your NVR/DVR is displayed on a monitor. That way, you can locate the correct files or settings.
Below you can check all the methods to delete videos on your Night Owl.
Method #1: Use Night Owl App (Only For DVR)
One of the easiest ways to delete videos on your Night Owl system is through its dedicated app.
Doing that is convenient because the app shows you what footage exists precisely, allowing you to make good decisions.
Before trying to delete anything from the Night Owl system through the app, you must have already linked the app to your Night Owl DVR.
Here are the steps to delete videos on the Night Owl App:
- Turn the Night Owl DVR on
- Open the app
- Tap the “Menu” button
- Tap the DVR icon in the list of devices
- Select “My DVR”
- Click on “My Recordings”
- Find the recording you want to erase
- Highlight the correct recording
- Press OK
- Toggle “Delete” and press “OK.”
It might take a few seconds to completely delete the footage you’ve chosen.
But, after that, plenty of storage will be available again for you to record more videos!
Method #2: Delete On The Device (Night Owl DVR and NVR)
If you don’t have the app linked to your device or don’t want to use it, you can still delete it in other ways.
One of them is simply via your Night Owl DVR/NVR. Since there is a remote control, everything is possible.
Once your Night Owl DVR/NVR is turned on and connected to a display screen, do the following:
- Press “MENU” on the remote
- Choose the DVR/NVR icon
- Click on “My Recordings”
- Navigate and choose the video to delete
- Press “OK” to check the options
- Go for “Delete”
- Press “OK”
Note: Even though Night Owl sells separate NVR and DVR devices, the process for deleting videos on each is the same.
Method #3: Delete Footage From HDD
Every Night Owl DVR/NVR has a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) that stores everything you record.
Once in a while, you might want to format the hard disk either for a performance gain or to delete all your old footage.
To delete footage from the HDD or format it completely, you must remove the HDD from the device and connect it to a computer.
Then, all you have to do is unmount the device until you find the HDD. Then you will need to use a SATA or SATA-to-USB cable.
Once you have connected the HDD to your computer:
- Go to “My Computer” or find the connected devices
- Click on the external HDD device
- Once you are in it, you can see all videos recorded
- Click on a video you want to erase
- Press “Delete” on the keyboard
Alternatively, you can hold “ctrl” while clicking multiple videos. Then press “delete.” If, instead, you want to format the HDD to delete everything in it without leaving traces.
Here is how:
- Right-click the external HHD device’s icon
- Choose “Format”
- Choose either quick formatting or full formatting
Either option will get rid of everything that is on the HDD. However, quick formatting might surface a few bits of data.
Those bits will not interfere with anything, but they might be used to recover data in the future if needed.
Tip: Formatting over deleting every video with “ctrl” can cause your HDD to gain a bit of performance.
Method #4: Factory Reset The Night Owl Recorder
Factory resetting is one of the most popular ways of deleting everything and starting from scratch.
Such a method is useful when:
- You are selling your NVR/DVR
- You don’t want any of the footage in it
- There is something wrong with the device
If the second and third cases overlap in your situation, then that’s even better.
While deleting via the remote control is unified whether you use the DVR or NVR, factory resetting is a bit tricker.
There are plenty of Night Owl recorders around, and some present variations in how you proceed to factory reset.
✅ How To Factory Reset AHD10, HDA10, HDA30, NVRH5, NVR IH8, NVR IC8
Check if your device matches the models in this header.
If it does, then do the following:
- Go to your device’s Main Menu
- Select “Advanced Tab”
- “Maintain Tab” will show up
- Locate “Load Default”
- Click on it
- Select “All” to factory reset all settings
- Click on “Save”
Depending on the precise model, the system might restart after the procedure.
✅ How To Factory Reset THD Series DVR
This is how you factory reset the THD series DVR models of Night Owl:
- Click on Main Menu
- Go to the Maintenance option
- Select the “Default” Sub-tab.
- Choose “Factory Defaults”
- Your system will restart after this step
✅ How To Factory Reset XHD Series DVR
If you have Night Owl XHD Series DVR, here are the steps to factory reset it:
- Choose “Main Menu”
- Select the “Advanced” tab
- The “Maintain Tab” will show up
- Click on “Load Default”
- Select “All”
- Confirm by clicking “Ok.”
✅ How To Factory Reset WNVR Series
Finally, if the model you have is one among the WNVR Series, its factory resetting steps are here:
- Click on “Main Menu”
- Select the “Maintain Tab”
- Choose the “Factory Default” Sub-tab (on the left Menu)
- Choose “All” to factory reset
- Confirm on “Apply”
Method #5: Delete Footage From The Camera’s SD Card
Some cameras made by Night Owl can also store data on SD cards. Thus, you have the option of deleting footage that’s stored there.
To do that, you must take the SD card from the camera and insert it into a card reader on your computer or connected to it.
- On your computer, go to “My computer”/anywhere you can see devices connected
- Click on your SD card
- Find the specific footage you want to delete
- Click on them
- Press “delete” on your keyboard
Method #6: Delete Footage From A Single Camera
If your camera has an SD card, the odds are it can be accessed remotely to check what is on that SD card and delete it.
For that, you will need the camera’s IP address and its credentials.
- Insert the camera’s IP address on a PC browser
- Enter your username and password
- Go to Settings
- Head to Storage
- Toggle “Micro SD Card”
- Now click on “Format.”
That will delete all unwanted content from your camera’s SD card.
Method #7: Delete Your Account
How do I delete my Night Owl account? If all your videos are linked to your account, and you no longer intend to use Night Owl, you can delete them.
All videos will be erased along with it.
Here are the steps to delete your Night Owl account:
- Go to Night Owl’s site
- Log in to it
- Head to the “My Account” tab
- Find the “Delete my account” part
- Type your credentials
- Select “Cancel my account” to confirm
That’s it! After that, all your files and info should be deleted from Night Owl.
What We Learned
How to delete videos on Night Owl? You have just seen how easy it is to delete your footage from Night Owl devices!
Whether you have only a few cameras or a whole system with DVR/NVR, you can erase unwanted files in the blink of an eye.
- Why Won’t My Bush TV Connect To WiFi? (Quick Fix Guide) - September 25, 2023
- Bush TV Not Turning On? – (Fix In Minutes!) - September 25, 2023
- Bush TV Sound But No Picture? – Here’s How to Fix! - September 21, 2023