Wondering why your Geeni camera playback not working? We got you covered!
The Geeni camera is one of the best options for those who enjoy tech with high functionality but this typically means more issues.
Since many users have reported that the playback in their Geeni cameras is not working we’ve created a simple guide that solves the issue in minutes!
The playback does not work on the Geeni camera due to any issue with the micro SD card or with the Geeni camera operating system.
The solution is to inspect the internet connectivity, the SD card installation, and the playback settings configurations!
Why Is Geeni Playback Not Working?
If the playback on your Geeni camera is not working, there could be several reasons for this.
Therefore, before troubleshooting the Geeni camera, it’s crucial to have a good understanding of potential causes, which you can review in the list below:
- Poor or inconsistent internet connectivity
- Inappropriate installation of microSD card
- Issues with the Geeni camera software (OS)
- Incompatibility of playback in your camera
- SD card storage full or firmware is outdated
- Incorrect configuration of the playback options
Now that we know the circle of possibilities let’s jump into the troubleshooting!
How To Fix When Geeni Camera Playback Not Working?
Tip: If you’re unsure where to start, follow the steps in consecutive order!
1. Check The Network Connectivity
An unstable internet connection can frequently cause problems with your Geeni camera’s playback.
So it’s important to make sure your internet connection is reliable, functional, and properly connected to your Geeni camera.
Here is how to check the network connectivity on the Geeni camera:
Step #1 Check Network Status:
- Open the Geeni app on your mobile.
- Select your Geeni camera to inspect.
- Tap on the camera’s settings icon.
- Locate and tap on the Device Info.
- Look for the Network section to enter.
- Info: This tab will show the network status:
✅ Connected / Green dot – your Geeni camera has a stable network connection!
✅ Disconnected / Red dot – your Geeni camera has an unstable network connection!
Step #2 Optimize Camera Network:
- Make sure that your Wi-Fi network is operational on other devices.
- Reboot your Wi-Fi router by unplugging it from power for 2 minutes.
- Restart your Geeni camera to reset and boost the network connection.
- Unpair unused devices from the WiFi to boost the network speed.
If your camera has a stable network connection but the playback still not working, keep reading!
2. Power Cycle the Geeni Camera!
Bugs and errors on the Geeni camera always interfere with the system’s functioning and configuration.
However, by restarting your device, all bugs will be removed from your Geeni camera and then, hopefully, the playback from the SD card will be read.
Here is how to restart the Geeni camera:
- Unplug the Geeni camera from the power source!
- Wait for about 5 minutes to soft reset the device.
- Plug the camera back into the power outlet and test.
Note: To perform a complete power circulation, keep the camera unplugged overnight!
3. Re-Insert the SD Card *Correctly*
Your Geeni camera may be having trouble reading the microSD card in the device, which is why playback isn’t working.
Don’t worry, all you have to do is remove the SD card and embed the card properly into the camera to quickly refresh the storage memory.
Note: Be sure to insert the 128GB SD card into your Geeni camera card slot!
Here is how to reinsert the SD card into the Geeni camera:
- Unplug your Geeni camera from the power source.
- Locate the SD card slot from the back or bottom.
- Gently push on the SD card to pop out the card tray.
- Gently, then take out the microSD card from the slot.
- Inspect the tray and clean it using a pencil eraser or Qtip.
- Then embed the SD card into the card slot the correct way.
- Plug your camera back into the power source and test.
Info: In case this card has never worked in this Geeni camera it’s possible that there is a compatibility issue, which could be challenging to solve.
4. Check for Temperature Change!
Inappropriate ambient temperature may often affect the functionality of the Geeni camera and sometimes, when it’s too cold or too hot, the SD card can’t be read.
If you have set up your where the ambient temperature is other than from -4°F to 122°F, then perhaps that’s the culprit.
- Take the camera inside to climatize while unplugged!
Also, avoid using your Geeni camera in direct sunlight, as this can cause overheating and damage the device further.
In addition, check for the playback once you are sure that the temperature is appropriate and that the microSD card is inserted and functional.
5. Update The Geeni Firmware
Sometimes the playback in the Geeni camera stops working due to outdated firmware that’ll resolve by updating the firmware in your Geeni camera.
Don’t worry, updating the firmware in the Geeni camera is a very easy task and with a good internet connection, takes no time!
Here is how to update the firmware into the Geeni camera:
- Open the Geeni mobile app on your device.
- Tap on your Geeni camera for an update.
- Tap on the “…” button from the top right corner.
- Then tap on the check for firmware update option.
- Proceed accordingly:
✅ If an update is available, follow the on-screen prompt to update the camera firmware.
✅ If there is no update available, your Geeni camera is already up to date.
Reminder: Make sure to check for the playback after updating your Geeni camera firmware!
6. Factory Reset the Geeni Camera!
If, after trying all of the above troubleshooting methods, you are still unable to resolve the playback issue on your Geeni camera, proceed with a factory restoration.
This is one of the best working methods available but erases ALL system settings, files, and in-app configuration.
Here is how to factory reset the Geeni camera in easy steps:
- Head over to the Geeni camera location.
- Locate the Reset button from your camera.
- Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
- The audio prompt indicates the start of the reset.
- Release the reset button only after the audio prompt.
Info: When you’re ready with the above steps, then set up your Geeni camera in the app and configure all desired settings as per your preference.
7. Format the MicroSD Card
When you use the same old SD card in the camera multiple times, it often becomes corrupted and affects the camera’s functionality.
However, formatting the microSD card is one of the best ways to resolve the corrupted data and might help the card be recognized again.
Note: Formatting your microSD card will permanently erase all playback and footage!
There are two ways to format the microSD card for Geeni cameras:
Method #1 Format microSD via the Geeni App:
- Open the Geeni app on your mobile device.
- Tap on your Geeni Camera from the devices list.
- Tap on the “…” button to go to the camera settings
- Then tap on the Format SD card option.
- Finally, re-insert the formatted microSD card.
- Test whether the microSD card is now accessible!
Method #2 Format microSD via USB Card Reader:
- Remove the microSD card from your Geeni camera.
- The next step is to insert the card into a USB card reader.
- Then, insert the card reader into the computer’s USB port.
- Tap on “This PC” from the taskbar or from the Start Menu.
- Find and enter the “Devices and Drives” tab from the menu.
- Then select and right-click on the connected microSD card.
- Tap on the Format option and confirm the following prompt.
- Then unplug the USB reader and eject the microSD card.
- Insert the card into the Geeni camera and test accessing.
Note: In case the microSD card is still not being read by the Geeni camera, perhaps the card is faulty and you’ll need a replacement so continue reading.
Choosing a New microSD Card – Geeni Camera!
Here are the recommended SD cards from Geeni manufacturers:
- 16G – Sandisk Extreme, Kingston 16GB SDHC-I SDCAC/16GB
- 32G – Sandisk Extreme V30, Sandisk Extreme V30 A1, Sandisk Extreme V30 Pro A1
- 64G – Sandisk Extreme V30 A1, Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1
- 128G – Sandisk Extreme V30 A1, Sandisk Extreme Plus V30 A1
Tip: For more questions and help, contact Geeni Customer Support.
Whenever your Geeni camera playback not working, check the network connection first and restart your Geeni camera as well as your router.
The next step is to reinsert the SD card, factory reset the camera and ultimately format the microSD card and test. Follow us for more helpful guides on Geeni cameras!
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023