Whenever the Braeburn thermostat won’t turn off, the problem often translates to an inactive thermostat, unfunctional heating/cooling, or a problem with the thermostat’ settings.
This is why we can’t easily assume what’s wrong, before performing a thorough inspection of the entirety!
When a Braeburn thermostat is not turning off, the first step is to check the heating and cooling setting, and whether it’s lower than the room temperature.
Another thing to verify is whether the power supply is intact, as well as the device’s wiring and programming.
Let’s continue to unwrap the most important factors!
Why Is Braeburn Thermostat Not Turning Off?
If the Braeburn thermostat isn’t turning off, it is most likely due to incorrect programming settings or a fault with the power supply.
There are many possibilities that could have a negative impact on the functionality of your thermostat so let’s begin with reviewing the most common suspects:
- A programming fault with the settings of the thermostat
- Issues with the thermostat’s heating/cooling settings
- A thermostat battery issue or the “C” terminal wire
- A malfunction with the hardware of the thermostat
- The programming of the thermostat is not bypassed
When Do Thermostats Turn Off?
A common aspect of all thermostats is that they turn heating/cooling off when the maximum temperature is reached.
For example, the “heating” will deactivate once the Braeburn thermostat goes 2-3° over the temperature outside.
The selected “heating” or “cooling” programming re-activates once the temperature in your house drops while “heating” or increases while “cooling”.
If the thermostat has active programming configured, the programming schedule should reactivate automatically.
Braeburn Thermostat Won’t Turn Off – 7 Proven Solutions!
Tip: To resolve the problem faster, follow our steps in consecutive order!
1. Bypass Thermostat Programming
There is a way to restrict a Braeburn thermostat from any programming and only manual configuration will reactivate the heating/cooling setting.
This will not turn off the power to the thermostat but will turn off all activated functionality settings of the device.
- To bypass the thermostat’s programming, press the “HOLD” button!
How to Temporarily “Override” Braeburn Programming?
To get the Braeburn thermostat off the current program at any time, press the “UP” or the “DOWN” arrow button for up to 2 seconds.
You will know that the heating/cooling program has been overridden once the display of the thermostat blinks and goes back to normal.
- Pressing “UP/”DOWN” while overridden will adjust the thermostat’s temperature
Info: As long as “HOLD” is displayed on the thermostat screen, programming will be disabled.
2. Lower the Heating/Cooling Setting
In this different approach, we will lower the thermostat’s heating/cooling temperatures so the device turns off by itself.
A feature of Braeburn thermostats is that they automatically deactivate if the selected heating/cooling setting is 2-3° more than the temperature outside.
- Set “heating” or “cooling” to 3 degrees more than the temperature outside!
Turning OFF with the “Cooling” Setting:
Set the “Cooling” setting at 3 degrees less than the temperature outside. Wait for several minutes to determine if your thermostat will automatically turn off.
Turning OFF with the “Heating” Setting:
Set the “Heating” setting at 3 degrees more than the temperature outside. Your thermostat could take up to 4-5 minutes to turn off once you’ve activated the “Heating” setting.
Note: Do not interact with the thermostat until the device automatically shuts down, and in case this doesn’t happen in 5 minutes, continue reading!
3. Take out the Thermostat Batteries
If you just want to turn off the Braeburn thermostat and not use it for the hours/days to come, taking out the batteries works like a charm.
You will cut off the power supply to the thermostat and anytime you wish to use the thermostat again, simply insert the batteries again.
- Remove the thermostat’s body by pulling it towards you.
- Once the body is detached from the base, expose the batteries.
- Eject both of the batteries inside your Braeburn thermostat.
Tip: Replacing the batteries of the Braeburn thermostat is often the key to keeping an error-free experience.
For an active user, we recommend replacing the batteries once every 2 months!
4. Reset the Braeburn Thermostat
The hurdle with the thermostat comes primarily when you’ve done the programming incorrectly.
By resetting the settings of Braeburn, we will clear out any general software problems that are preventing the thermostat from turning off whenever it’s time to.
Info: To reset the Braeburn thermostat, you will only need a paperclip or a toothpick!
- Locate the “RESET” button inside the small hole on the front.
- Insert the paperclip or toothpick into the pinhole and press.
- Then hold the Reset button inside for about 10 seconds.
- Gently release the button and wait for the reset to begin.
Note: The reset takes about 30 seconds, and when ready you need to re-configure the device’s schedule and settings.
5. Disconnect the Power Wire!
Although a Braeburn thermostat works with independent batteries, there’s also a wire, called the “C-wire” that provides constant electrical supply to the thermostat.
Whenever disconnected, the thermostat will be immediately turned off until the “C” cable is reconnected to the terminal.
How to Reach Braeburn Thermostat Wiring?
Alert: Stop the power from the circuit breaker before interacting with the wires!
- Undo the screws holding the front panel of the thermostat.
- Grip the front panel and take it out from the device’s base.
- Expose the wiring terminals in the base of the thermostat.
- Double-check whether the power from the breaker is stopped.
- Gently pull and disconnect the “C” wire from the terminal.
How to Recognize the “C” Wire?
The “C” wire has a red color and comes out from the “C” labeled terminal in the wiring panel of your thermostat. You should be able to distinguish the wire easily, as all other wires do not have matching colors with the “C” wire.
Tip: Use safety gloves to grip the C-wire and pull it out from the “power” terminal.
6. Flip the Circuit Breaker
To turn off the power to all of your HVAC systems, ultimately terminating the thermostat’s power you should flip the switch on the main A/C circuit.
Again, if you’re leaving and you wouldn’t want the thermostat to work the entire time, flip the fuse’s switch or follow the guided steps below:
- Locate the main A/C breaker panel in your household.
- Open the panel of the breaker to access the terminals.
- Find the switch that has an “HVAC” label or orientation.
- Alternatively, unscrew the HVAC room’s power fuse.
- Info: Some fuses also have individual switches for each.
- Pull down the HVAC switch downwards to stop the power.
- Optional: Push the switch upwards to resume the power.
Is That Safe?
Yes, it’s safe but it’s not optimal.
Flipping the switch from your A/C breaker only comes in handy when you’re going out, so you wouldn’t want all electrical devices in your home working in your absence.
In the best-case scenario, you will have an entire room without any power only to be able to turn off the thermostat.
7. Inspect for Hardware Issues
Any thermostat, including Braeburn, is prone to various hardware-related issues after a long period of usage and utilization.
The reason why your Braeburn thermostat keeps working and you’re unable to turn off the device could be due to an HW fault, related to one of the following:
- Overcooling or overheating
- Leaking thermostat coolant
- Drastic temperature changes
- Problem with the heating
- Weird and noisy sounds
In case you’re able to identify one or more of the aforementioned facts, well, it’s time for a new thermostat.
Some of these faults (objectively viewed) come out more expensive to repair than to purchase a new thermostat which comes with a fully-fledged warranty and many new features!
Need Qualified Help?
If you weren’t able to resolve the issue this far in the guide, we can only assume your Braeburn thermostat is experiencing a more complicated problem.
If that’s the case, the best suggestion is to reach out for professional assistance from Braeburn by calling: 1-833-274-9234 anytime.
Hence, whenever a Braeburn thermostat won’t turn off, the first step is to bypass all programming settings on the device and take out the batteries.
In case the thermostat is not turning on as per the programming, perform a reset or disconnect the “C” wire.
For more Braeburn thermostat tips and tricks follow our blog!
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023
- How to Connect Vizio TV to WiFi Without Menu Button Easily? - September 10, 2023