Teckin smart plug not connecting to your other smart devices or a WiFi network can be a frustrating occurrence as you won’t be able to use its features properly.
If you face this specific issue, don’t worry; we have you covered with a variety of fixes to try out.
To fix the Teckin smart plug not connecting, start by checking your WiFi network for connectivity or bandwidth issues. Next, power cycle, then update the app software.
Now that you know some of the fixes for the Teckin smart plug not connecting, let’s examine why this problem occurs in the first place.
Why is My Teckin Smart Plug Not Connecting?
If you are having trouble pairing or connecting your Teckin smart plug to a WiFi network or to the app, the issue is either within the WiFi network or with the application itself.
In rarer cases, you might have a hardware issue with the plug itself.
Here is a quick overview of the most common causes of the Teckin smart plug not connecting:
Now that you have a general overview of the most frequent causes let’s try out the troubleshooting steps.
How to Fix Teckin Smart Plug Not Connecting
Tip: It is best to have your Teckin app set up for automatic updates to ensure compatibility.
Solution #1: Check Your Wi-Fi Network
Teckin smart plug setup not connecting occurs most commonly due to incompatible WiFi type or poor signal strength.
In some instances, the router might have a function to block devices from connecting to it.
Here are the steps to check your Teckin smart plug WiFi network for issues:
- Confirm your Wi-Fi is operational by connecting to another device.
- Make certain that your Wi-Fi is on a 2.4GHz band, as Teckin smart plugs don’t currently support 5GHz.
- Keep the Teckin smart plug close to your router to avoid connection issues.
- Check for any Wi-Fi restrictions or MAC filtering that may prevent connection.
- Restart your router by unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in.
- Once the router is back online, try to connect the Teckin smart plug again.
If your home uses WiFi signal extenders, reset them in the same way you did your main router and try connecting the Teckin again.
Note: Always back up any data from your smart devices on a secure storage repository.
Solution #2: Restart Your Teckin Smart Plug
Since your Teckin smart plug has smart electronics on board, it can malfunction due to a build-up of static electricity, as current from your wall outlet passes through it.
To discharge this residual energy, you must perform what’s known as power cycling for your Teckin device.
Here are the steps on how to power cycle your Teckin smart plug:
- Unplug the Teckin smart plug from the power outlet and place it somewhere on a flat surface (preferably not plastic or of a fabric type to avoid discharge)
- Wait for about 45 seconds and give your Teckin plug to fully dissipate any build-up electricity inside it.
- Plug your Teckin smart plug back into an electrical outlet that you have confirmed as working prior.
- Check the indicator light (usually situated on the front or side of the smart plug) to ensure it’s on.
- Open the Smart Life app or the app you use to control the Teckin smart plug.
- Try connecting to the smart plug again by navigating to the device panels and tapping Add Device (or alternatively named Connect Device).
Note: Try using the Teckin device-sharing feature if you need multiple access points.
Solution #3: Update the Teckin Smart Device App
The Teckin smart plug relies on an external app to give it commands or change its functions.
If the app you use to control the Teckin plug is outdated, your device might have issues pairing to it.
Here are the steps to update your Teckin plug from your iOS/ Android device:
- Open the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone or tablet (where the Teckin app is installed).
- Search for the Smart Life app or the app you use for your Teckin smart plug.
- Check for available updates and install if any are found.
- Once updated, restart your smart device.
- Open the app of choice and attempt to connect to your Teckin plug.
- Follow any additional on-screen setup instructions.
If, after uploading the Teckin app, your plug is still not connecting, please uninstall the app and then manually install it again.
Please write down your password and username before doing so, as they might be lost.
Note: If you recently experienced a power surge, the Teckin smart plug must be reset.
Solution #4: Reset the Teckin Smart Plug
If you have updated the Teckin smart plug and power cycled it, but the issue persists, the next step is to hard reset it.
This can clear some of the more persistent software glitches of your device.
Here are the steps on how to reset your Teckin plug device:
- Press and hold the power button on the Teckin smart plug for 10 seconds.
- Wait for the light to blink rapidly, indicating a reset has been successfully performed.
- Release your hold of the power button once the blinking starts.
- Wait for the plug to complete the reset process (usually takes a few seconds).
- Open your smart device app to set up the Teckin smart plug as a new device.
- Follow the in-app instructions to connect the Teckin device, then check if it can now properly pair to your smartphone or tablet.
Note: You can schedule when devices power on or off through your Teckin app.
Solution #5: Disable any VPN or Data Saver Modes
If you are using any VPN, it might assign an incorrect IP address to your Teckin smart plug, causing issues with pairing to the WiFi.
To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, any running VPN masking service must be disabled, at least until you connect the Teckin device.
Here is how to ensure your smart plug can connect properly without a VPN:
- Open the Teckin app on your smartphone or tablet where it’s installed, and access the settings menu.
- Navigate to the VPN settings and disable any active VPN connections – the steps for doing this can vary depending on the VPN service you have selected.
- After disabling the VPN, look for any data saver or battery optimization settings and disable them.
- Restart your smartphone or tablet to apply the changes.
- Open the app used for controlling the Teckin device and attempt to connect the Teckin smart plug once more.
Note: Be mindful not to overload the Teckin smart plug's maximum load capacity.
Solution #6: Check Device Compatibility
In some rarer instances, the devices you might be trying to pair to your Teckin plug are not compatible with it.
If this is the case, then no amount of troubleshooting can fix your situation except for pairing it to a supported device.
Here are the ways to ensure your Teckin smart plug is compatible with your other devices:
- Verify that your smartphone or tablet operating system (OS) is compatible with the Teckin app.
- Update your smart device’s firmware to the latest version if needed.
- Check for any compatibility notes on the Teckin smart plug’s manual or website.
- Ensure the Teckin plug is compatible with your home automation system (e.g., Alexa, Google Home).
- Open the Teckin device app on your updated device.
- Attempt to connect the Teckin smart plug again.
Note: If your Teckin plug is too far away from your router, consider installing a signal repeater.
Solution #7: Check for Interference
In some instances, it could be the case that both your Teckin device and the WiFi network are properly set up.
In this case, a possible cause of the connectivity issue is an overloaded WiFi channel or strong EMF interference blocking your smart plug signal reception.
Here are some general instructions on preventing signal interference for your Teckin plug:
- Identify devices that could cause Wi-Fi interference (e.g., microwaves, baby monitors).
- Turn off or move potential interference sources away from the Teckin smart plug and router.
- Unplug and replug the Teckin smart plug to reboot it.
- Wait for the plug to initialize and the light to indicate ready status.
- Try to connect the Teckin smart plug through the app once more.
- If you still face the exact same issues, relocate the Teckin smart plug to another area that is less prone to interference.
After you have checked for interference, try connecting your Teckin smart plug again.
If the issue persists, you might be dealing with a more complicated device issue. In this case, please contact Teckin support.
Note: You can track the energy expenditure of devices paired with the Teckin plug.
Teckin smart plug not connecting can usually be remedied by power cycling the device and your WiFi modem.
In some cases, you have to update your Teckin app software as well.
- SimpliSafe Says Entry Sensor Open? (Here’s Your Fix) - February 25, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Offline? (Fix It Fast!) - February 25, 2024
- Sensi Thermostat No C Wire? (Fix & Install Now!) - February 25, 2024