Wondering why Homekit secure video not recording? Let’s dive in to know more!
The Secure Video is the best feature of Homekit that allows the user to add their cameras to the Home app and view the footage from anywhere.
Yet, it also poses users with different challenges, particularly when the secure video stops recording for one reason or another…
The Homekit secure video stops recording due to different factors including poor network connection, disabled event recording option, outdated software, and much more.
The solution requires an inspection of all suspected components in the setup!
For a better understanding of the secure video recording issue, let’s learn more about it!
Why is Homekit Secure Video Stopped Recording?
If you’re experiencing trouble using Homekit secure video to record your camera footage, it’s probably because the Homekit or the security cameras weren’t set up properly.
Also, several other factors may occasionally interfere with recording so let’s explore more!
The following are the most common causes to secure video not recording issues:
- Poor internet connectivity
- Incorrect configuration of HomeKit
- The camera device is malfunctioning
- Outdated Firmware (HomeKit, camera, or iOS device)
- Insufficient Storage for more Recordings
- Incorrect Recording Settings
- Homekit Apple ID Account Issue
Let’s go next to discuss ways to promptly fix the Homekit secure video recording issue!
How To Fix When Homekit Secure Video Not Recording?
It is now clear that the secure video is not recording due to different factors and that’s why we are going to unwrap several easy ways that will surely help.
Be sure to follow the guide completely so you can solve the problem as soon as possible!
If you are using Logitech security cameras then the secure video not recording issue is very common.
The Logitech cameras iOS 15 version prevents the secure video from recording hence to fix this issue, update the camera firmware, and/or contact Logitech Support.
Solution #1 Turn On *Event Recording*
You must first configure the cameras and turn on the recording feature via the app to access the recording of your home security cameras.
It is possible that the camera’s event recording option is turned off in the app and that’s why secure video is not recording at all.
- All you need to do is recheck the app and enable the feature!
Here is how to turn on the event recording for the camera:
- Open the Home App on your iOS device.
- Tap on the Live View of the camera to turn on the recording.
- Tap on the Settings gear icon.
- Tap on Detect Motion and if it is turned on then turn it off and turn it back on.
- Make sure that the When Home or Away are set to Stream and Allow Recording.
- Also, adjust the other recording settings of the camera.
- Test the HomeKit secure video recording…
In case that doesn’t help, try the following solution!
Solution #2 Check Network Connection
A stable network connection is equally important and necessary for the Homekit hub, iOS devices, and camera devices.
Secure video won’t record footage from cameras if the devices can’t maintain a reliable network connection, which prevents them from communicating properly.
- Test your internet (WiFi) by attempting to surf online!
To stabilize the network connection reboot the WiFi router by unplugging it for while and turning it back on.
Also, if possible then reset the WiFi router and then connect it to all devices and make sure that the devices are getting fast and strong network.
Note: Call your ISP if you found network issues on other devices as well!
Solution #3 Restart The HomeKit Setup!
When two or more devices are connected, like your home cameras and Homekit hub, technical bugs are highly common in them.
Therefore, restarting or rebooting the devices is one of the fast and most effective workarounds.
Note: Restarting the device may also resolve some power issues if that is the case!
Which Devices Needs To Restart?
- WiFi Router
- iOS or iPad device
- Security Camera
- Homekit Hub
- Home App & Camera App
How To Restart The Devices?
- Unplug or turn OFF the device.
- Wait for about 60 seconds.
- Plug in or turn ON the devices.
After restarting the devices, recheck the recording settings in the app and then check if the secure video is recording or not.
If not then still no need to worry, try the next methods!
Solution #4 Re-Add Camera To HomeKit
Sometimes the camera doesn’t sync properly with the app or gets some glitch that interferes with its performance.
By re-adding the camera to the HomeKit, you will refresh the app’s connection and the secure video feature will function correctly.
Here is how to re-add the camera to the Home app:
Step #1 Remove The Camera From The Home App:
- Launch the Home app.
- Navigate to camera Settings.
- Scroll down in the menu.
- Tap on Remove Accessory.
- Tap on Remove to confirm the action.
Step #2 Re-Add The Camera In The Home App:
- Turn on the camera.
- Open the Home app.
- Tap on Add Device + icon from the top right corner.
- Tap on Add Accessory.
- Enter the code or scan the QR code from the camera via iOS mobile.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to finish the process.
Tip: Scanning the QR code is faster!
Solution #5 Inspect Homekit Hub Settings
Homekit secures video records through the Homekit hub, thus after checking the network connection and turning on event recording, you must also configure the settings.
Incorrect settings will affect communication between the devices, so you must pay attention!
Here is how to inspect and configure the Homekit hub settings:
- Open the Home App on your iOS device.
- Navigate to Home from the top left corner.
- Tap on Home Settings
- Tap on the Home Hub and Bridges.
- Under the Home Hub section check for the connected devices.
- Reboot all connected devices mentioned there.
- Reconnect any security cameras that are disconnected.
In case the cameras are connected but the secure video is still not recording, keep reading!
Solution #6 Check For Available Storage!
Another fact is that when the iCloud storage is full and there is no more space for more recordings, the Homekit secure video stops recording.
Also as your iCloud reaches its limit, you’ll get a notification that would offer you to extend your subscription for more storage.
Increase Storage Vs Free Storage
To continue using iCloud storage for recording you need to free up the space by removing unnecessary recordings.
As the Homkit detects the free space in iCloud, the secure video will automatically start recording.
However, if you don’t want to lose your recordings increase your iCloud Storage plan by upgrading your subscription.
Moreover, it is important to always keep an eye on the iCloud storage so that when the storage is nearly full, free some space to avoid losing footage.
How To Check Homekit iCloud Storage?
- Open the Home mobile app.
- Tap on Home from the bottom bar.
- Tap on your Profile Picture from the top right corner.
- Tap on iCloud storage to check the limit.
Solution #7 Update Devices Software
As we’ve already mentioned, outdated software frequently causes recording issues with Logitech cameras.
However, if you’re using another brand camera, such as a Eufy camera, be sure to update the firmware since this is one of the most frequent causes of recording issues!
To update the firmware of cameras, look in the camera manual or visit the official website for the appropriate guidance you need.
Moreover, also make sure that the Homekit hub and your iOS device firmware are up to date as well, since it’s essential for the proper operation.
If you need more help, keep reading!
Secure Video Still Not Recording?
It is very important to only use the cameras that are compatible with the Homekit secure video feature.
If after trying every method from the guide your secure video is not recording then there might be a compatibility issue, or any device is malfunctioning.
Therefore, call a professional or reach out to Apple Support for further assistance.
Also, be sure to describe the issue in detail. Also, don’t forget to share what you’ve tried.
Whenever Homekit secure video not recording, check the camera setting, and Homekit hub settings, then inspect the internet connection,
Moreover, re-add the camera in the Home app, update the device’s firmware, and be sure to free some iCloud storage!
Check out our blog for more helpful guides on Apple products!
- How to Fix Insignia TV With No Picture? – Complete Guide - March 27, 2023
- Maytag Washer Not Starting? – Quick Fix Guide - March 27, 2023
- How To Get 4K On YouTube TV? – Complete Guide - March 27, 2023