The Drop In feature is an Amazon service allowing users to connect their Alexa-enabled devices, and communicate with their family members from a distance but what if Alexa drop in not working?
The Drop In feature easily connects, and the only requirement is permission from another device.
The Alexa Drop-In issue occurs for many reasons, such as internet connectivity, incompatible devices, outdated application versions, and device communication being disabled. The solution includes addressing each of the possibilities individually!
Let’s next discuss effective and quick methods to solve the drop-in feature!
How To Fix When Alexa Drop In Not Working?
Make sure to not skip any step to get benefit from this guide!
Solution #1 Inspect Internet Connectivity
The Echo device, through which persons can communicate with each other, requires an internet connection.
But due to a bad internet connection, the device will be unable to connect to other Alexa-enabled speakers leading to the Drop-In not working properly.
So, all you need to do is check your internet connection!
Follow these steps mentioned below to check the internet connection:
- Open the Alexa application.
- Select the “Menu” option.
- Click on the “Settings” button.
- Tap on your Echo device.
- Click on the “Update Wi-Fi” button.
- On the screen, you can see the internet status.
Tip: Restart your network router modem if your device is not connected to the Internet.
Solution #2 Check For Device Compatibility
After checking network connectivity, the next step is to check the compatibility of your device.
If your speakers or Echo device are not compatible with the Drop-In feature, then it’s impossible to solve the problem or use the feature in any variety!
Here are the Alexa devices that support drop in feature:
- Amazon Echo (1st Generation)
- Amazon Echo (2nd Generation)
- Echo Dot (1st Generation)
- Echo Dot (2nd Generation)
- Echo Spot
- Echo Show
- Echo Plus
- Alexa App (Used to start Drop-In)
Alert: If you don't have any of the above-mentioned devices, then sadly you can't use Drop In.
Solution #3 Enable Communication For Each Device
For security purposes, you have to grant permission to your user’s account to utilize the Drop In feature.
Because if Alexa doesn’t provide its users with the ability to give permission access in their hands, then anyone can reach out to their Echo devices.
They give you three permission preferences, such as ON, OFF, and ONLY NEAR ME.
Here are the easy steps to enable communication for each device:
- Open the Alexa application.
- Click on the “Menu” button.
- Choose the “Settings” option from the menu.
- Select the “Amazon Household” option from the settings.
- A screen with the devices’ names appears.
- Select the devices and prived permission.
- Make sure to enable the “toggle button” associated with the communication.
Note: After implementing all the above steps, test if the Drop In feature works!
Solution #4 Enable Drop-In On User Account
Most of the time when the Alexa app Drop In not working, the devices have no access or permission to use the Drop In feature.
You just have to enable Drop In from Settings.
Here’s how to enable Drop In Access to user accounts manually:
- Open the Alexa application.
- When you select the “Action button”, a menu appears.
- Click on the “Contacts” option.
- A list appears, choose the Profile option.
- There is an option to “Allow Drop In”.
- Make sure to enable it and then click OK.
Tip: When you want to communicate with someone and click the chat button from the Alexa app, a pop-up appears to enable you to drop in.
Solution #5 Disable Do Not Disturb Mode
Whenever the Do Not Disturb (DND) mode is enabled on any device, then that participant is unable to connect, the same applies to your Echo device.
You can turn the DND mode OFF with your voice or by using Alexa. Perhaps this is why Drop In not working on the Alexa app.
Near your Alexa-enabled device, just say:
- “Alexa, don’t disturb me!”
- “Alexa, turn OFF do not disturb”
Make sure that the DND mode is disabled and attempt to Drop In!
Solution #6 Clear Alexa App Data
Most of the time, when the application gets a lot of data, its operation becomes slow.
Then clearing application data (Cache) is an easy way to refresh the application.
That will not only provide a fresh start but also boost the responsiveness of the Alexa application!
Here are some easy steps to clear Alexa app data:
- Go to mobile Settings.
- Choose the Storage Configuration/App Data/Storage option!
- Select the “Alexa app”.
- Press on the Clear All Data option or Clear Cache.
- Tap on Confirm to complete the process.
Note: Log in to the Alexa app again and test whether the Drop-In now works!
Solution #7 Reinstall Alexa App
It is necessary to keep the Alexa application updated with every update released by Amazon.
Most applications get automatically updated as a new update release, but if the application is updated and you are still facing issues, then you need to reinstall the application.
Cleanly reinstalling the app will make sure that you’ll use the most recent app version!
Here are quick steps to reinstall your Alexa app:
Reinstall Alexa App For Android:
- Go to Settings from your mobile home screen.
- Tap on Apps and Notifications from the settings screen.
- Select Apps and choose the Alexa option.
- Tap on the App Info and click Uninstall to confirm and start uninstalling the application.
- Download the app back from Google Play.
- Log in to your Amazon Account.
- Attempt to Drop In.
Reinstall Alexa App For iOS:
- From the mobile home screen, launch the Settings app.
- Select General and tap on Device Storage.
- From the list, choose “Amazon Alexa” and click on Delete App.
- Confirm again to start the uninstallation process of the app.
- Open the App Store and install the latest version of the Amazon Alexa app.
- Log in to the application and test Dropping In.
Solution #8 Reset Your Echo Device
Maybe there is a problem with your Echo device and this is why the Drop In feature is not working.
All you need to do is reboot or factory reset your Echo device speaker.
Follow the methods in their order!
Method #1 Reboot Your Echo Device
- Switch OFF your Echo device.
- Unplug the device from a power source.
- Wait for 10 seconds.
- Turn it on.
Method #2 Factory Reset Your Echo Device
- Hold the Volume Down and Power OFF button.
- Wait until the light of the Echo device turns orange.
- Release both buttons at once.
- After the orange light, the device’s light turns blue.
- The reset is complete!
- Turn on the Echo device and test to Drop In.
Alert: After a factory reset, all the connected devices with the Echo device will be disconnected.
Solution #9 Contact Customer Support
In case you’ve tried everything but the guide but nothing managed to solve the Drop-In problem with your Echo device, then you might need some help to further identify the problem.
Maybe the issue is not on your side and you only need to wait for a hotfix from Amazon. Let’s learn!
Receive help by contacting Amazon Customer Service and inquiring about the problem!
Report the problem you’re experiencing with the Drop-In feature and share what you’ve already attempted in this guide to save time.
With a bit of luck, the problem would be gone in no time!
Thus, connection issues with the Drop-In feature of Alexa appear for many reasons, such as incompatible devices, internet problems, software-related issues, or the DND feature. The solution addresses each of the possibilities individually and always helps!
Now that we know why Alexa Drop In not working and what solutions to follow in order to fix the issue in no time, we can check in without family whenever we want.
In case the issue is persistent and none of the solutions in this guide helped, make sure to contact Amazon customer service for additional assistance.
For more fix-guides, follow our tech blog and always discover the solution you need!
- How to Use Sengled Bulb Without Hub? – Complete Guide - September 26, 2022
- How to Fix Crunchyroll Offline Viewing Not Working? - September 26, 2022
- Graco Swing Not Working When Plugged In? – Complete Fix Guide - September 26, 2022