Looking for the best Vizio surround sound setup? Well, you’re at the right place!
In this complete guide, we will review all details and instructions on setting up your own Vizio 5.1 surround sound setup.
We will also share with you some tips and tricks to take your streaming experience to the next level by providing you with everything you need to know in one place.
To set up your Vizio surround sound, it’s necessary to place the soundbar/subwoofer close to one another and wait for them to sync.
Once that is done, plug the soundbar into the TV and connect the speakers to the soundbar before testing the audio.
Let’s continue with the essentials!
Everything About Vizio Surround Sound 5.1 Setup!
The Vizio 5.1 surround sound setup is a wise choice when upgrading your home audio system.
The reasonable price of the setup and the quality of the sound will bring your theater experience to the next level and help you enjoy streaming more than ever.
What’s In the Vizio 5.1 Surround Sound Package?
Here’s a list of the devices you will need for setting up your Vizio 5.1:
- The Vizio soundbar is the primary device you will need for the setup
- The Vizio subwoofer outputs bass and connects with the soundbar
- Two speakers are required for completing the 5.1 surround sound
- The Vizio surround system is supplied together
- All required cables and wirings should be included
Is My TV Compatible with the Vizio System?
A question that bothers most of the newcomers to Vizio sound equipment is whether their TV is compatible with the system or not.
All you need for installing the Vizio soundbar setup with your TV is an HDMI cable and an HDMI OUT (ARC) input on the TV.
How to Setup Vizio Surround Sound – 5 Easy Steps!
Tip: Organizing cables during the setup will save you a lot of headaches!
1. Connect the Soundbar/Subwoofer to Power
The first and most important step is to supply your Vizio devices with power.
The first device we will install from your surround sound setup is the soundbar and the subwoofer is afterward.
- Both the Vizio soundbar and subwoofer have standard A/C power connectors!
The Best Place for Vizio 5.1 Surround:
With the Vizio surround sound setup, positioning your devices is one of the most important factors.
When placing your devices, figure out a spot that is close to a power adapter and keep the devices close to one another since that is important for syncing purposes.
Notice: The subwoofer must be close to the speakers as they must connect via AUX!
Syncing Vizio Soundbar and Subwoofer:
The great thing about the Vizio surround sound setup is that the soundbar and subwoofer sync automatically.
All you have to do is plug both of the devices into a power outlet and they should sync automatically, as long as the devices are close to one another.
How to Know When They Are Synced?
You will have to perform an audio test. Once we’re done with the setup, we will run some tests and determine if each of the devices in the Vizio surround sound setup is functional.
Note: Keep the subwoofer and soundbar a maximum of 7-8 meters (24-26 feet) apart!
2. Plug the Vizio Soundbar the TV
To continue with the setup, we must connect the Vizio soundbar to the TV.
The only wireless connection in the setup is the one between your soundbar and subwoofer, as everything else must be connected with a cable, including the speakers.
Here’s how to connect your Vizio soundbar to the TV easily:
- Take out the HDMI cable supplied with your Vizio surround sound setup.
- Connect one of the cable’s ends to the HDMI ARC output on your TV.
- Plug the other end of the cable into the HDMI port on your soundbar.
Note: Make sure the HDMI connection is properly connected and secured on both sides!
Important – TV Output Device!
On most TVs, connecting an external audio device will not revert the default output setting. This means that you will have to do it manually, through your TV’ settings so the soundbar can start outputting the sound.
Otherwise, the TV speakers might remain the primary audio output.
Here’s how to select your Vizio soundbar as the default output device:
- Access the Settings of your TV device.
- Go to the “Audio” tab and press “Devices”.
- Locate your Vizio soundbar and select it.
- Save the changes and exit the menu.
Tip: If you’re unable to navigate through the menus, view your TV’s user manual for more info!
3. Connect the Vizio Speakers
You have two options when installing the Vizio speakers. If your room doesn’t have enough space, you could benefit from the “Front Surround Mode”.
Let’s unwrap everything!
Recognizing the Vizio Speakers:
Upon taking the Vizio speakers out of the delivery box, you may notice that one of the speakers’ cables is gray at the end and the other one is blue.
This defines the positioning of the speakers based on the type of surround sound setting you choose later.
Standard Vizio Speakers Placement:
Place the speakers behind your viewing spot and close to the subwoofer.
When ready, plug the speakers with the Vizio subwoofer and test how the audio sounds.
“Front Surround Mode” Installation:
Place the Vizio speaker with gray output on the right side of the soundbar and the one with a blue input on the left.
When ready, simply plug the speakers into the Vizio subwoofer and test.
Note: It’s important to match the input’s color when connecting the speakers to the subwoofer!
4. Choose your Surround Mode
Although the Vizio speakers are typically placed behind the listener for a true surround sound experience, Vizio developed the “Front Surround Mode”.
Now you have the option to either place the two speakers behind your couch or place them on each of the soundbar’s sides too.
- Not selecting a mode will not activate surround sound for your Vizio setup!
How to Activate the Standard “Surround” Option?
- Press the “Effect” button on the supplied Vizio remote.
- Press the “down” button on the D-Pad multiple times.
- Select “Srnd On” and stop pressing any buttons.
How to Activate the “Surround Front” Option?
Note: Only activate if your speakers and soundbar are all placed together!
- Point the Vizio remote toward your soundbar.
- Press the “Effect” button next to “Volume down”.
- Scroll down using the D-Pad to “Surnd On”.
- Use the Left/Right button to select “Surnd Frnt”
- If you set it to “Srnd Off” you will deactivate the Surround Sound feature
- Setting “Srnd Frnt” works only when the speakers are placed appropriately
Tip: When ready, hiding the wiring harness helps establish an esthetic look of the setup!
5. Test the Surround Audio Output
After installing all of the devices, it’s time for testing. Feel free to play some audio on your TV and determine if everything with the output is correct.
Your soundbar, subwoofer, and speakers must all play in sync without any delay, interruptions, or other audio fluctuations.
- Play any streaming platform, video, or audio recording on your TV to test.
Controlling the Surround Setup?
You can control the sound of your Vizio 5.1 surround sound setup by pressing the “Vol +” and “Vol -” buttons on the remote.
In addition, you can power off your surround sound setup with the “power” button on the Vizio remote.
Feel free to explore all of the functionality of your system!
Vizio Setup Surround Sound – Not Working?
In case you’ve followed every single step and there is no audio or the surround sound is not working, then we’ve got several quick tricks to attempt.
Ensure to try all of the solutions!
- Setup Power Cycle – Unplug all devices from the power for 60 seconds!
- Unmute your TV – Using the TV remote, press the “Mute” button to unmute.
- Reconnect the HDMI – Reconnecng the fundamental connection might help!
- Test on another TV – Any television with HDMI-ARC can be used for testing.
- Contact Support – Contact Vizio Customer Service for additional help.
Quick Tip: Have you tried with a different, proven-to-work HDMI cable?
To complete the Vizio surround sound setup, place all of your devices based on your surround sound preferences and connect them to power.
Using the Vizio remote, select either the “Surnd Frnt” option or the standard “Srnd On” using the “Effect” button
Follow us for more related content!
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023
- How to Connect Vizio TV to WiFi Without Menu Button Easily? - September 10, 2023