Wondering why is your Leviton smart switch blinking green? We’ve got you covered!
The Leviton smart switch uses light codes to communicate with the user and alert them of any ongoing hardware/software issues.
In Leviton’s case, the blinking green light is an indication of an underlying problem, that we’re going to review in-depth and learn all about in this guide!
The blinking green light on your Leviton smart switch indicates a connection fault with the WiFi network.
The problem could either occur due to issues with the switch itself or due to a problem with the network’s router/modem or all-in-one gateway.
Let’s decipher the meaning behind the green light…
Understanding Green Light On Leviton Switch!
It is necessary to understand the specific purpose of the green light on your smart switch and what it is trying to indicate exactly.
When your Leviton smart switch has kept blinking for a couple of minutes now, it means that the device has lost connection to the internet.
- The light on your switch should be solid green if everything is correct!
The reason that your smart switch loses internet connection can vary. It could either be a problem with your network device (router/modem) or perhaps an issue with the device itself.
Why Is Leviton Smart Switch Green Light Blinking?
- A connection problem with the network router/modem
- Your Leviton smart switch is undergoing power issues
- There’s a software fault with the Leviton smart switch
- A problem with your mobile device or the Leviton app
- A WiFi outage or an issue on your internet provider’s end
- Potentially a hardware fault with the Leviton smart switch
Note: As long as your switch is plugged in, the LED will blink in green until reconnected!
7 Solutions When Leviton Smart Switch Blinking Green!
It is necessary to test the light switch on a functional bulb. If the bulb installed on your Leviton switch’s light socket is faulty, there is no way of knowing the exact culprit for the fault.
Let’s start with the solutions!
1. Reconnect the Smart Switch!
The first course of action when the green blinking light on your switch persists, is to reconnect the device to the internet.
The problem with your switch might have been a temporary issue and if you reconnect the device to the WiFi, it may not unpair anymore and won’t blink green!
Follow these steps to reconnect your Leviton switch to the WiFi:
- Launch the “My Leviton” app on your mobile device.
- Make sure you’re signed into the app with your account.
- Press on the Leviton switch from the homepage of the app.
- Select your Leviton switch and search for the WiFi option.
- Follow the instructions to reconnect your switch with WiFi.
Alert: Make sure that your network router is up and running before connecting the switch!
2. Reboot the Network Device
The reason your Leviton smart switch may randomly disconnect from the internet is that there’s a problem with the network device.
No matter whether you’re using standalone network devices or a combined modem/router (gateway), restarting refreshes all services and resolves issues!
- The most effective way to reboot your router is to power cycle!
Here’s how to power cycle your network device in easy steps:
- (Optional) If your router has a power button, press it to turn it off.
- Once your network device powers off, unplug the power cable.
- Wait for 3-4 minutes while the router/modem is unplugged.
- Re-attach the power adapter of the network device to power.
- Wait for your router or modem to startup and reconnect the switch.
Notice: You will have to reconnect the Leviton switch once your router/modem has started up!
3. Place the Switch Closer to your Router
If you’ve first encountered the green light during the setup of the switch, it is likely that the Leviton is too far away from your router to maintain a WiFi connection.
If you’ve paid attention to the mandatory steps before installing the switch, it must be within a 15-20 meter range!
- Install your Leviton smart switch into a power outlet closer to your router!
Tip: If there is no power outlet near your router, feel free to use an extender only to perform a test from close proximity!
4. Re-Add the Switch from the App
The next probable cause that your switch is constantly unpairing from the wireless network is problems with the device configuration.
You’re only able to access advanced customization settings for the Leviton switch within the “My Leviton” app that you should already have.
Alert: Re-adding the switch will revert the device settings back to their default values!
Learn how to re-add your Leviton switch in the following steps:
- Access the “My Leviton” app on your mobile device.
- Choose the switch you wish to re-add from the homepage.
- Scroll down and press the “Remove this Device” button.
- Navigate back to the homepage of the app and press “+”.
- Follow the on-screen steps to re-add your Leviton switch.
Note: Removing the Leviton switch from the app may cause it to blink in a different light!
5. Factory Reset your Leviton Switch
Perhaps, the easiest way to remove the green blinking light is to reset your Leviton smart switch.
Also considered a “Factory Reset”, this process will reinstall the software of your smart switch and help with temporal issues that are impacting the WiFi connectivity!
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on your Leviton smart switch:
- Double-check if your Leviton switch is set to “ON”.
- Hold the top part of the activation button towards “ON”.
- Keep holding until your switch shows an amber light.
- Stop holding the activation button and wait for the blue light.
- Your Leviton smart switch should reset in the upcoming minute.
How Long Does the Factory Reset Take?
The factory reset on the switch doesn’t take more than 3 minutes, but holding the activation button for a precise amount of time is required to activate it.
Thus, releasing the button before your switch shows up an amber light, will not activate the factory reset.
Info: The amber light will appear on your switch once the factory reset starts, it’s nothing to be concerned about since the light will disappear shortly.
6. Cleanly Reinstall the Leviton App
It’s highly likely that this problem is caused by the Leviton application installed on your mobile device.
To remove the blinking green light with your Leviton switch, we recommend uninstalling the app from your mobile device and then uploading it again from the App Store/Google Play.
Here’s how to reinstall the Leviton app on your mobile device easily:
- Access the Settings of your device and go to “Applications”.
- Scroll down (use the search field) to highlight the Leviton app.
- Enter the Settings of “My Leviton” and press on “Uninstall”.
- Wait for the Leviton application’s uninstallation to finalize.
- Access the App Store/Google Play on your mobile device.
- Type “My Leviton” and press the magnifying lens icon.
- Download, install, and launch the Leviton application cleanly!
- When the app opens, sign in with your account credentials.
Adding the Leviton Switch?
Uninstalling the Leviton app will disconnect the switch from the configuration. Re-add your switch by following the instructions in step 4 once you’ve reinstalled the Leviton application.
Tip: It’s recommended to activate “Automatic Updates” for the Leviton app to stay up to date!
7. Reset Power from Circuit Breaker
If nothing worked, you should reset the circuit breaker that supplies power to the room where your switch is in.
A problem with the electrical installation could be causing all sorts of issues with the Leviton smart switch, including connectivity throttles so it’s worth resetting the power!
- Access the main circuit breaker and flip the respective fuse’s switch!
This will temporarily stop the power to the room of your Leviton smart switch and refresh the AC line power income.
In case the switch is still blinking in green after the power restoration, simply relocate the switch to another room, where another fuse is supplying the electricity to test on!
Info: In case there was a recent power outage, there might still be power fluctuations and in those cases, the Leviton switch will blink in green.
Hence, when the Leviton smart switch blinking green the first step is to power cycle the switch and reboot the network WiFi router. In case that doesn’t help, it’s necessary to perform a factory reset on the switch and reset the AC line power from the main circuit.
Follow us for more helpful troubleshooting content!
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023