When your JBL Flip 5 won’t turn on or charge, chances are there is an issue with the charger or USB cable.
If your JBL Flip 5 is not charging or powering on, you won’t be able to use it to play music. Even if these are the issues you face, don’t worry.
The fixes for this problem are often much simpler and quicker than you would imagine.
I used one of the solutions in this guide to fix my JBL device, and I will show you the exact steps.
To fix your JBL Flip 5 not turning on or charging, first replace the USB charging cable. Then try using a different power socket and clean your JBL charging port. Next, attempt a software update on your device and finally replace the battery with a new one.
Now that you know the solutions we will be attempting, let’s first have a look at the underlying causes of your JBL Flip 5 not turning on or charging:
Why Is My JBL Flip 5 Not Charging Or Turning On?
If your JBL Flip 5 doesn’t seem to charge at all or isn’t turning on, then it’s most likely due to a faulty or bent USB cable, a malfunctioning charger, or an unusable charging port.
Here is a list of the most common causes for your JBL Flip 5 not turning on or charging:
Broken Power Button
If your power button is broken and does not make proper contact with the circuit board, you won’t be able to power your JBL Flip 5 on.
When your JBL Flip 5 battery has reached the end of its lifespan or is defective, your device will not power on or charge.
Damage caused by water or physical impact can prevent your JBL from turning on and charging.
If your JBL software is outdated, this might prevent your device from properly charging or turning on.
Enabled Factory Mode
Having your device accidentally set to factory mode might prevent it from powering in as usual.
Note: If you have enabled the factory mode for the device, press the Volume up + JBL connect buttons for 5 seconds simultaneously to revert to normal operating mode.
How To Fix JBL Flip 5 Won’t Turn On Or Charge?
JBL Flip 5 won’t charge or turn on can be caused due to two main reasons. The first is hardware issues with the charger or USB cable, and the second is a software error.
Now that you know the causes for JBL Flip 5 not charging or turning on, please follow the solutions below in order, not skipping over any for best results:
Solution #1 Replace Your USB Charging Cable
The most common solution for your JBL Flip 5 not charging or turning on is because the USB cable used for charging is damaged or defective.
To check if your USB cable is preventing your JBL from charging, follow these steps:
- Find or purchase a new compatible USB cable
- Plug it into your JBL Flip 5 and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
- If you notice that the power button starts glowing, your JBL is now charging correctly.
If even after you get a new charging cable, your JBL still won’t power on, the following solution #2 can make the difference.
Not all USB cables are made equal, and oftentimes the cheaper third-party cables can’t transfer power properly.
Original JBL cables often have an orange plastic insert on their ends.
Note: Always use the original JBL charger together with the new USB cable.
Solution #2 Clean The JBL Charging Port
If the JBL Flip 5 charging port is stuck with dust and debris, it won’t make proper contact with the USB charging cable.
This is a common cause for your JBL Flip 5 not charging, and no troubleshooting will fix your JBL device without a properly clean charging port.
Avoid using strong detergents and liquids for cleaning, as they can cause moisture to build up and damage your device.
Some strong detergents can react with the steel on the charging port and corrode it over time.
Here is how to safely clean your JBL Charging Port:
- Get a wooden toothpick and gently swipe it in the charging port in a circular motion
- Remove any dust from the end of the toothpick
- Repeat this process until no further dirt and dust is present
- Use a cotton swab, in the same way, to remove any dirt buildup on the outer surface
After these steps, visually inspect the charging port and then reinsert a working USB charging cable and connect your JBL Flip 5 to a power socket.
Note: Never use hard objects for cleaning your charging port, as they might scratch and bend it, making it unusable.
Solution #3 Try Using A Different Power Socket
Having a faulty power socket can prevent your JBL 5 from recharging.
Even if the power socket works, it could provide less than the required power output for your JBL Flip 5.
- To use this method, simply find a different suitable power socket and plug in your JBL Flip 5 with a working charging cable.
- Wait a few minutes and check for any blinking lights, indicating that your device has started to recharge properly.
Note: Always use your factory-provided JBL charger and cable since aftermarket ones might damage your device's battery.
Solution #4 Update Your JBL Firmware
The only currently available method to update your JBL speakers software is the JBL app.
Note that this step is only helpful if your JBL can turn on but not charge properly.
Having the latest firmware update could fix the issue of the JBL Flip 5 not charging properly.
Here are the steps to download and use the JBL portable app to update your speaker:
- Download the JBL portable app from the Google Play Store or App Store
- Turn on your JBL Speaker and then launch the app
- Ensure that both devices are paired via Bluetooth
- The JBL Flip 5 should appear on your devices screen
- When an update is available for your JBL, you will see an update button
- Press the update button and wait for the latest version to install
- Restart your JBL device after the update has been successfully installed
After these steps, please check if your JBL 5 is now charging correctly. If not, then the next solution might be the best option.
Note: Ensure that your smartphone device is using a WiFi network during the installation of the app to save on mobile data usage costs.
Solution #5 Replace Your JBL Battery
My JBL Flip 5 won’t turn on or charge is a common symptom when your JBL battery is faulty.
If you have performed all the steps above and your JBL Flip 5 still won’t power on or charge, the fault is most likely within the battery.
- At this stage, you have performed all possible steps and have to now send your JBL Flip 5 to an officially licensed repair shop.
- Ask the repair shop to check for a faulty battery and mention that your JBL is not powering or charging.
- It’s usually not worth the risk of attempting to replace the battery yourself, so it’s always best to send it to the JBL device servicing shop.
Alert: Never attempt to replace the battery on your own or tamper with the circuit board, as doing so might void your warranty and cause damage to your device.
To fix your JBL Flip 5 not turning on or charging, replace your USB charging cable with a new one. Next, clear your charging port and try using a different power socket. Afterwards, update your JBL firmware.
Now that you know why JBL Flip 5 won’t turn on or charge, we hope you can successfully solve the issue with our solutions.
If you still can’t get your JBL to turn on or charge, please contact JBL support for further help.
- Vicks Humidifier Not Steaming? – (Here’s How to Fix!) - October 20, 2023
- Kindle Paperwhite Not Waking Up? – (Try These Solutions) - October 20, 2023
- Why Is My Hisense TV Blinking Red Light? – (Instant Fix) - October 20, 2023