Don’t know how to factory reset PS4 without controller?
Keep reading because we’re about to list the best 3 methods to factory reset a PS4, completely free of controller!
To factory reset a PS4 without using a controller, connect other input devices compatible with the console, such as a keyboard or a mouse.
If that doesn’t work for you, use one of the software PS4 remote apps (PS Remote Play/PlayStation App) to navigate the console.
Let’s first the most essential first!
How to Initialize PlayStation 4?
Even if you can’t currently control your PlayStation 4, note that these are the correct steps for performing the reset.
When you learn how to control the PS4 without a controller later in the guide, use these steps to initilize the console easily:
- Enter the [Settings] tab.
- Navigate to [Initialisation].
- Press on [Restore Default Settings].
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Info: The initialization process permanently erases ALL content, settings, and games from your PlayStation 4.
How to Factory Reset Ps4 Without Controller – 3 Ways!
We highly recommended disassociating your PlayStation Network account.
The factory reset may target some of the unsaved cloud information on your PS4, resulting in data loss.
To disassociate your account, go to Settings > PS Network > Account Management!
1. Control PS4 Via Other Input Devices
If you’re in no possession of a controller or it is inactive for some reason, remember that your PS4 is compatible with many input devices.
You could use a keyboard as well as a mouse, to control your PlayStation 4 and access the settings.
- The PS4 also supports wireless (Bluetooth) keyboards and mouses!
How to Connect USB Peripheral Devices?
- Plug the USB A of the device into one of the ports on the console.
- Wait for the PlayStation system to recognize the connected device.
- Try to use the device to move the generated cursor of the PS4.
How To Reset PS4 via Bluetooth Devices?
Note: To connect Bluetooth devices, you must access the [Bluetooth Devices] tab first!
- Head to the “Settings” tab on your PS4.
- Access the “Devices” section of the options.
- Navigate to “[Bluetooth Devices]”.
- Enable the Bluetooth of your wireless keyboard/mouse.
- Connect with the appliance once it shows up.
How to Reset PS4 via a Keyboard?
In case you didn’t know you can easily hook up a regular computer Keyboard to your PlayStation 4 and start navigating through the menus.
The keyboard plugs via USB into one of the available inputs on your PS4 and you’re ready to go!
Here are the buttons used for operating a PS4:
- Left Arrow Key
- Right Arrow Key
- Upward Arrow Key
- Downward Arrow Key
- “Enter”, “Tab” “Function”
Info: Each of the arrow keys will respectively move you throughout the settings in the desired direction and the “Enter” button will access the setting you’re highlighted.
With this in mind, go to [Settings] > [Initialisation] > [Restore to Factory Defaults] to reset the console!
How to Reset PS4 via a Mouse?
Using a mouse to navigate through your PS4 is only possible after enabling a cursor.
Yes, you can get an all-functional mouse cursor on your PS4, as long as the setting is enabled.
Here’s how to get a cursor on your PS4:
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Enter the “Devices” tab.
- Go to “Mouse Settings”.
- Press “Enable Mouse”.
- Wait for a cursor to appear.
Note: Once you have enabled the mouse function, a functional cursor will appear on the screen of your PlayStation 4!
2. Control PS4 Through Mobile
As long as you’re in possession of a smartphone, you’ll be able to reset the PlayStation 4 completely free of the controller.
In this case, your phone is going to become the controller for the PlayStation 4 and you’ll be able to navigate through the settings, in the factory reset tab.
- You can use both the “PlayStation App” and “PS Remote Play” with your PS4
How to Setup the “PlayStation App”?
- Open the Google Play/App Store on your phone.
- Type “PlayStation App” in the search field.
- Download the first result with the most ratings.
- Launch the platform once it’s installed.
- Sign in to your PS4 network account.
- Connect your device to the same WiFi as the PS4.
- Follow the instructions to connect with your console.
How to Setup the “PS Remote Play” App?
- Get into Google Play/App Store on your phone.
- Use the search field to type ‘PS Remote Play”.
- Download the first result that will appear.
- Launch the application once it’s installed.
- Sign in to your PS4 account if required.
- Follow the steps to set up the app.
- Connect with your PlayStation device.
How to Control PS4 With a Software App?
Once the software PS application is connected to your console’s local wireless network and everything is connected, you’ll see a digital remote.
On the remote, you’ll have multiple function buttons that will allow for browsing through your console in a variety of ways.
You’ll see the following buttons on the digital remote:
- Navigation Arrow buttons “←↑→↓”
- A “Tap” button replacing the “X” controller button
- A “Back” button for going back in your PS settings
- An “Options” button for launching the menu
- A “PS” button for going back to the home screen
Info: All of the following buttons will be active when your mobile device is connected to the same WiFi network as the PlayStation 4.
Your console will react to each button press almost instantly if there’s a quality WiFi connection.
3. Control PS4 Via Windows PC
If you have a desktop computer or a laptop running on Windows, you’ll be able to control and reset the PlayStation 4 as well.
All you need to do is acquire the [PS Remote Play] application for the desktop computer and then you’ll be able to control the console!
What You’ll Need:
- A PC/Laptop connected to the same WiFi as the PS4
- A USB cable to hook up the console to the PC
- The [PS Remote Play] app installed on the computer!
Your PC/laptop must also meet the following requirements:
|Windows 10/11||7th generation intel or higher||2 GB or more||1024 x 768 or higher||required|
How to Acquire the [PS Remote Play] App on Windows?
- Go to Sony’s PS Remote Play online webpage.
- Once the “Download” button becomes available, press it.
- Launch the “.exe” file of the “PS Remote Play” app.
- Follow the instructions to set up the application.
How to Setup PS4 Console Remote Play?
Once you’re done with setting up the WiFi, it’s time to set up the application with your console:
- Turn on your PS4 and put it to reset mode.
- Connect the console to your PC using USB.
- Launch the [PS Remote Play] app.
- Sign in to the same PS4 account as on your console.
- Wait for the PS4 device on the same network to appear.
- Select the [PS4] button to connect with your console!
PlayStation 4 Remote Play App Controls:
If you’re confused with the buttons in the desktop remote play app, here’s a clarification:
Info: All of the following buttons answer specifically to the functions of a regular DualShock controller.
To maintain the remote play connection, your computer and console must remain connected through a USB cable.
Need New Controller?
In case you’re considering purchasing a PlayStation 4 controller, we strongly advice buying a certified DualShock 4 controller.
Unoriginal “fake” controllers lack sensitivity and are not recommended for gaming.
Note: You can get DualShok 4 Wireless Controller from the official PlayStation web page!
Now we’ve learned how to factory reset PS4 without controller and we know that there are 3 different methods.
They include connecting an external controller to the console, downloading the mobile app, or using a computer to gain access to the PS4 menus!
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023